APEC RO-90 ReviewBy John Davis - June 17, 2015
Quality and quantity, these 2 should go together. But sometimes, being too focused on one can cause the other to be ignored.
Today we’ll review the APEC R0-90, which is a part of the Ultimate Series of APEC’s residential reverse osmosis water systems. It’s marketed as a filtering system that processes water to produce high-quality filtered water at a high rate, but did this product maintain balance between quantity and quality?
For starters the RO-90 is one of the few reverse osmosis water systems with a WQA Gold Seal. This definitely helps the RO-90 rise above the crowd, but lets take a deeper look as well.
APEC RO-90 is created by Advanced Purification Engineering Corporation (APEC). APEC is a US based manufacturer of reverse osmosis systems and other water purification-related products.
APEC has been working in the water-filtration industry for 17 years, and over those years, they were able to develop and produce high-quality products that fit the needs of various homeowners.
Is the APEC RO-90 the one for you? Find out.
Key Features of APEC RO-90
APEC RO-90 is an under-the-sink reverse osmosis water filtration system that purifies water by letting it pass through 5 stages of filtration. The components used in the filter are NSF certified. And don’t be fooled, it may only have 5 stages (unlike others that have 7) of filtration but APEC RO-90 does as good in removing contaminants.
As proof to that, APEC released a list of contaminants removed by their WQA certified system.
That’s a long list of contaminants, and the point here is APEC RO-90 clears the water from contaminants which may harm you and your family.
Another advantage of this system are the filters. The filters are created by APEC themselves and they are high capacity. And because of that, they lasts longer than regular filters. The filters are made of high quality components that help in prolonging the lifespan of your reverse osmosis system. Both the performance and lifespan of these filters are good, so thumbs up to APEC. Still, APEC recommends users change the filters annually.
It improves the overall performance of the reverse osmosis system and lengthens the life of your RO membrane.
APEC RO-90 also comes with John Guest Polypropylene Fittings, fittings that can be in your system without harming the already purified water. And not only that, these are quick connect fittings, which means installation and replacement of parts isn’t a hassle and requires less effort and less time.
And finally, customers get 1-year customer guarantee and a lifetime support from WQA specialists. Problems, if there are any, will be handled by them in order to give customers a top-notch experience.
APEC RO-90 is an under sink reverse osmosis system. The overall dimension of the system is 15”w x 7”d x 18”h. Here’s the complete specification of the product:
- Storage Tank: 4 gal. 11” x 11” x 15”
- System Capacity: 90 gal./ day @ 60psi; 75 gal./day @ 50psi, 77⁰F
- Feed Water Pressure: 40-85psi
- Feed Water Temperature: 40-100⁰F
- Feed Water pH: 2.0 to 11.0
- Max Total Dissolved Solids: 2000ppm
If your purchased an APEC RO-90, you will get the following:
- Filter Set
- FILMTEC Reverse Osmosis Membrane and fittings
- 4 Gal. Holding Tank
- Standard Chrome Faucet
- John Guest Quick-Connect Fittings
- Stainless Steel Check Valve
- Food-Grade Tubing (5 feet)
- Instruction Manual
What Are the 5 Stages of Filtration?
Stage 1: High-Grade 5 micron 10” high-capacity polypropylene sediment filter. This stage removes dust, particles, and rust. It also helps in prolonging the life of the reverse osmosis membrane.
Stage 2 and 3: 2 Premium Extruded Carbon Block 5 micron 10” filters. These 2 stages get rid of unpleasant taste, odor and chlorine. It also prevents cloudiness and colors in the water. These stages also remove VOCs and other common chemicals from the water.
Stage 4: Select FILMTEC High Rejection TFC reverse osmosis membrane that removes 99% dissolved solids and contaminants such as arsenic, lead, fluoride, chromium, radium, bacteria, and viruses.
Stage 5: Advanced Coconut Shell Refining Carbon 10” is a Total Contamination Removal process that removes possible residual taste from the tank.
How About the Installation?
Installation is easy, based on the instruction manual. It comes with all the fittings you need so no need to worry about finding them. The JG Quick-Connect fittings also makes the job easier. And to make things even easier, APEC included a detailed installation guide, which should put users through the installation process.
Extras and Upgrades
- 14 gal. Holding Tank – For larger homes, a tank with a larger holding capacity might be better. APEC RO-90 users can have this 14 gal. tank for $119.00.
- Quick Dispense Feature – Do you ever get the feeling your faucet has slow flow rate? That can be solved by availing the Quick Dispense feature which replaces the ¼” tubing, fittings, and connection from the tank to 3/8” components. Allowing water to flow quicker. The upgrade costs $25.
- Ice Maker Kit – This kit makes it easier to connect the RO system to a refrigerator’s central water system and ice maker. The kit costs $12 from APEC.
- Water Quality Testing Meter – This is a pocket-size TDS tester that accurately tests the quality of the water. Available for $25.
- UV Light – To add an additional layer of purification APEC offers a UV Light Upgrade for the RO-90. It adds UV light to your system to further eliminate microbial water contamination. You can either have one that uses 120V, 220V, or 100V, all for $135.
- Extra Pre-Filter Set – This is a replacement set for the first 3 filter stages. The whole set costs $30.
You can view all available upgrades on APEC’s website.
- WQA Gold Seal
- In homes with good pressure from feed water, it produces 90 gallons of water per day.
- Removes 99% of contaminants.
- High capacity filters last longer.
- Automatic system shut off when tank is full. No water is wasted.
- Nice Upgrades; Quick Dispense, UV Light, 14 Gallon Tank
- Eligible for APEC’s Referral Program
- No remineralization process for the water, but as I discussed here this shouldn’t affect most healthy people with balanced diets.
APEC RO-90 is a very nice reverse osmosis system. They seem to have found the balance between quantity and quality.
As of 6/17/2014 the system has 4.8 stars on Amazon with 145 reviews, which is pretty good.
I know personally that APEC makes a quality product as I use the APEC ROES-50 in our home, and will probably upgrade to the RO-90 within the next year to get the WQA Gold Seal and UV upgrade. Their customer support is top-notch as well.
To me the APEC RO-90 is one of the best reverse osmosis systems available on the market.
What is Reverse Osmosis?
In it’s simplest form reverse osmosis is the process of using pressure to pass water from a more concentrated area through a semi-permeable membrane to a less concentrated area.
- Ooho: The Bottleless Water Bottle
- Ulla: A Simple Hydration Solution
- Gululu Smart Water Bottle for Kids
- 5 Water Bottles That Will Make You Want to Workout
- DropBottle Wants To Put Your Water in Gold
- Soma Water Pitcher Review
- Should You Buy Bottled Alkaline Water?
- Taking Hydration To New Levels With Pryme Vessyl
- Brita Infinity Smart Water Pitcher Review
- Trick Your Brain With A Cup That Adds Flavor To Your Water
- Ozmo Helps You Stay Hydrated And Track Caffeine Intake
- Saving Money With a Cistern
- AquaKinetic Drinking Water System Review
- Yecup 365—A Self-Cooling and Heating Mug
- A Water Bottle That Can Fill Itself Up
- Pelican Water PRO Reverse Osmosis System
- Aquasana 3-Stage Under Counter Review
- A New Take On Hydration With Moikit Seed
- Top 5 Things to Look For When Buying a Water Filter For Your Home
- Changing the Way You Workout One Spritz At A Time