Pelican Water PRO Reverse Osmosis SystemBy John Davis - March 29, 2016
The Pelican Water PRO Reverse Osmosis System has twice as many filters as most other Reverse Osmosis systems. That immediately sets it apart from other water filters on the market and ensures that you’ll get a superior drinking water.
It uses a storage tank design to store water after it has been filtered. When you need it, the system delivers water to a dedicated faucet. This faucet comes with the system and you have the option of choosing from three different finishes.
What really sets the Pelican Water PRO Reverse Osmosis System apart is that you will always know the quality of your water. Pelican asks you to send in a sample of your water every six months for quality testing. After analyzing the sample Pelican will mail you the results. This is a free service that you won’t need to pay for.
The six filter design is also unique, as most Reverse Osmosis systems use only three filters. The Pelican Water PRO produces 50 GPD (Gallons Per Day) which is more than most other filters. With this level of production you’ll never have to worry about running out of water when you need it.
A compact size makes the Pelican Water PRO Reverse Osmosis System ideally suited for underneath your sink. It has a smaller design than other Reverse Osmosis filters and will take up less room.
Pelican gives you three different water faucets to choose from, and you’ll be sure to find one that matches your kitchen’s color scheme. You can choose between chrome, brushed nickel or bronze.
The Filtration System
This six filters of the Pelican Water PRO work together to create a pure and great tasting drinking water. The filtration process works like this.
- Stage One – A 20 micron sediment pre-filter. This removes the largest particles from the water like sand, silt and other dirts.
- Stage Two – Granular activated carbon pre-filter. This removes some of the chlorine in the water in addition to some other common contaminants.
- Stage Three – Reverse Osmosis Membrane. This is the main filter of the system. It’s the filter that removes the rest of the chlorine from your water in addition to many other common harmful compounds.
- Stage Four – Granular activated carbon post-filter. This filter acts as backup, catching any last particles that made it through the first three.
- Stages Five and Six – After the fourth filter, water flows to the storage tank. It sits there until you turn on the faucet. Then water comes out of the tank and runs through this filter.
The 5th stage Granular activated carbon filter strips any remaining odors and tastes. The 6th stage calcite post-filter adds magnesium and calcium back into your water.
Magnesium and calcium are beneficial minerals that your body needs to survive. The Pelican Water PRO initially filters them out of the water. By adding these minerals back in at a later stage it gives you a tasty drinking water with the minerals your body needs. However, you have the option of buying a filter that doesn’t add these minerals back into the water.
The Pelican Water PRO Reverse Osmosis System divides the water filters up into two units. Stages 1 through 4 are all packed into a single replaceable cartridge. You’ll need to change this cartridge every 18 months. Stages 5 and 6 are packed into another cartridge which you’ll need to replace every 6 months.
All the filters are certified by NSF (The Public Health and Safety Administration) and ANSI (American National Standards Institute). They have been shown to remove about 50 compounds including 97.8% of Arsenic V, 99.99% of cysts, 96.30% of fluoride, 98% of lead and 96.50% of TDS (Total Dissolved Solids).
However, you should be aware that this system does not filter out bacteria. This may be a concern if you’re planning to use it with well water.
Specification and Design
The Pelican Water PRO Reverse Osmosis System is smaller than other Reverse Osmosis systems, which makes it ideal for cramped places.
To function properly the system needs a water pressure from 40 to 80 PSI (Pounds per Square Inch) and a water temperature from 40 to 100 degrees fahrenheit.
Dimensions are 14.5’’ height x 12’’ width x 14.75’’ depth.
Also, Pelican states that for this filter to function properly, the chlorine in your water cannot be more than 1 mg per liter. You should have your water tested if you suspect that it has a high chlorine content.
How Much Does the Pelican Pro RO Unit Cost?
On Amazon, the Pelican Water PRO Reverse Osmosis System is listed for $376.73 and it ships for free. However, it’s better to buy it directly from Pelican. They sell it for $299.25 and it also comes with free shipping.
Unfortunately, you cannot buy replacement filters from Amazon. You’ll need to buy them directly from Pelican.
The large four stage filter needs to be replaced every 18 months and costs $112.50. The smaller fifth and sixth stage filter needs to be replaced every six months and it costs $19.50.
Installation of the System
While you can install this filtration system yourself, Pelican actually states in the product manual that this Reverse Osmosis system has been designed to be installed by a professional plumber.
However, if you do want to install it yourself you can find an installation guide.
Warranty and Support
The Pelican Water PRO Reverse Osmosis System comes with a one year warranty, which is average for the industry. However, this warranty can be voided for a variety of reasons.
The Pelican 1-800 phone number is helpful. Several people have commented that support representatives have been able to quickly answer their questions. Also, as Pelican puts their support line number in a large capital font at the bottom of their webpage, it can be inferred that they are confident that it will be helpful and not frustrating.
Pelican also has a live chat line, an email address and a physical address in Deland, Florida.
- 6 Stage filtration system removes a large amount of contaminants
- The unit is small and offers you three different faucet choices
- Filters are reasonably priced
- Very good customer service
- Some reviewers have had problems with leaks
- Have to replace the large 4 in 1 filter all at once, which is unfortunate if just one filter in the pack has failed
With only three reviews it’s very difficult to draw any conclusions from the Amazon page for this system. After those three reviews it has 2.2 stars out of 5.0. However, that number is probably misleading to as the overall quality of this filter.
On the Pelican website itself there are numerous (more than 2,000) reviews of this product. There, most of the reviews are positive. Of course, you must always be slightly skeptical of reviews when they are posted directly on the manufacturers webpage.
The Pelican Water PRO Reverse Osmosis filter is a well built system that filters for a large amount of compounds. Its long term operating costs are low, as the main filter only needs to be replaced once every 18 months.
With three faucet finishes to choose from you’re bound to be able to find one that fits the color scheme in your kitchen. In addition, Pelican also has a support line that leaves people feeling content and satisfied, not angry and bitter.
All things considered, the Pelican Water PRO Reverse Osmosis System is a good choice for your home. It has a fair upfront cost and the quality of the water it produces is high.
What is Reverse Osmosis?
In it’s simplest form reverse osmosis is the process of using pressure to pass water from a more concentrated area through a semi-permeable membrane to a less concentrated area.
- Ulla: A Simple Hydration Solution
- Gululu Smart Water Bottle for Kids
- 5 Water Bottles That Will Make You Want to Workout
- DropBottle Wants To Put Your Water in Gold
- Soma Water Pitcher Review
- Should You Buy Bottled Alkaline Water?
- Taking Hydration To New Levels With Pryme Vessyl
- Brita Infinity Smart Water Pitcher Review
- Trick Your Brain With A Cup That Adds Flavor To Your Water
- Ozmo Helps You Stay Hydrated And Track Caffeine Intake
- Saving Money With a Cistern
- AquaKinetic Drinking Water System Review
- Yecup 365—A Self-Cooling and Heating Mug
- A Water Bottle That Can Fill Itself Up
- Pelican Water PRO Reverse Osmosis System
- Aquasana 3-Stage Under Counter Review
- A New Take On Hydration With Moikit Seed
- Top 5 Things to Look For When Buying a Water Filter For Your Home
- Changing the Way You Workout One Spritz At A Time
- WaterChef U9000 Review